Yet another Ruby install fail [SOLVED]

Hello Wonderful folks from this Norse God Land,

I am at this moment going through some Ragnarok experience and I hope we can reverse the tale and may mighty Thor prevail. So let me present the issue at hand.

Right now I am at this topic early in the course:

As recommended I have followed all the steps didn’t skip anything and copy and pasted on the Linux Terminal. I am using a Debian9 OS for this installation and I am not on a VM. My computer is a 32x based architecture (which I have a strong suspicious it might be throwing me off here.)

Well getting our hands dirty now.

The rbenv -v command threw me this rbenv 1.1.1-39-g59785f6

Which is right after the recommendation that if I had ran into any trouble I should get in touch with the folks here from the chat. But everything working fine. So I went confident for the next step.

rbenv install 2.5.3 --verbose

Then what it thew me was the following.

name@myname:~$ rbenv install 2.5.3 --verbose
/tmp/ruby-build.20181231091247.12184 ~
Downloading ruby-2.5.3.tar.bz2...
-> https://cache.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/2.5/ruby-2.5.3.tar.bz2
/tmp/ruby-build.20181231091247.12184/ruby-2.5.3 /tmp/ruby-build.20181231091247.12184 ~
Installing ruby-2.5.3...
checking for ruby... false
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in `/tmp/ruby-build.20181231091247.12184/ruby-2.5.3':
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details

BUILD FAILED (Debian 9.6 using ruby-build 20181225-1-g095d9db)

Inspect or clean up the working tree at /tmp/ruby-build.20181231091247.12184
Results logged to /tmp/ruby-build.20181231091247.12184.log

Last 10 log lines:
checking for ruby... false
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in `/tmp/ruby-build.20181231091247.12184/ruby-2.5.3':
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details
thobias@thobias:~$ ruby -v
bash: ruby: comando não encontrado
myname@myname:~$ 

I was thinking that is interesting. What might have happened? Then down the instruction the next command is issued the following response.

rbenv global 2.5.3 and it throws me rbenv: version2.5.3’ not installed`

Well I thought “Was that installed?” So I continued since the only thing, to my understanding is that this last code above and the next is suppose to check if Ruby and rbenv is running and installed. So I went and put the ruby -v and it threw me 'command not found` but in Portuguese (I am living in Brazil right now, so it made sense to put my OS in Portuguese for various reasons).

The interesting thing is that the outcome should be ruby 2.5.3pxx (20xx-xx-xx revision xxxx) [x86_64-linux]

And that’s where I take from here (and other warnings at a previous part of the course) that maybe the fact that I’m using a 32x OS is throwing me off here.

So if anyone could find a way for me to either fix this, or find an alternative so I could follow with a course.

Or tell me that I’ll have to install a newer 64x version, which I will only be able to install it next year. Therefore I believe I’ll be able to continue with this course only next year then.

Well nevertheless I hope the mighty princess warriors and war lords of peace from Valhalla enables me guidance in this exotic terrain to this Jungle boy here.

Hail to all! LOL

This is really embarrassing. So I believe I am a bit frustrated with this Debian9 for a while. And while I was working here to get the New Year’s Eve rolling before family arrived I believe I have correctly attempted to install MacOS version of the installation on the Linux (Dumb me).

Anyway I want to make sure to everybody that this also works on the Debian9 i686 (8632x) system wonderfully. After of course I followed the steps pertained to the Linux System instead of the MacOS.

Thank you to everyone and here is the message I got in case any one wonders what is the answer you get at the end of the installation.

ruby 2.5.3p105 (2018-10-18 revision 65156) [i686-linux]

Thank you and Happy New Year! Happy Coding.