Windows subsystem on linux

Hey all.I was getting an error message when I tried to install the ubuntu from the powershell. It read as follows:
PS C:\Users\hp> Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : The requested operation requires elevation.
At line:1 char:1

• Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows- …
  •   + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature], COMException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.EnableWindowsOptionalFeatureCommand

So I downloaded it from appstore and rebooted the pc. Am I good to go or do I need follow steps 3 to 5 of the web-development-101/lessons/prerequisites section? Please help as I am a complete beginner.

thanks.

hi @akashpriyadarshi1997,
maybe you should follow the steps 3 to 5 because they will be helpful in the future.

Those steps are mandatory. Failing to follow those will give you issues down the line, like not having git integration with your code editor, the in-ability to edit your files using a windows based text editor, and all around frustration.

The reason WSL didn’t install properly is because you did not start powershell as an admin.