Windows Subsystem Linux

Hi everyone,

I’m new here and I have some questions about WSL. If I download Ruby on Bash(Linux) and download VSCode on Windows, should I use Ruby on VSCode ?

PS: I already have VSCode.

Thank you.

What do you mean should you use ruby on VSCode?

Sorry, I thought that Ruby was running in Text Editors, like Javascript, PHP and others, is it wrong.?

If yes, the question change for : Can I use VSCode downloaded with Windows, and use Ruby downloaded with Bash (WSL)

Hi Lucas,

Yes you can. Make sure you set up the symbolic link so files are saved in the windows folders though. It’s all covered in the installguide in webdev 101.

Thank you

Is WSL use worth it ?

It’s better than using just windows to try and get going, but not as good as using Linux in either a VM or dual booting. Maybe start with WSL and see how you get on?

I understand.

Thank you.

I have a question, is the last, I promise.

In “Prerequisites”, it has a paragraph saying :

“The WSL program files are well hidden but it’s super important that you do not edit these files from Windows. Ignoring this will cause serious problems to your Ubuntu installation and possibly your Windows installation.”

How can I access the “hidden” files ? Is it possible ?

You could access them from the WSL terminal probably yeah. But then you’d be editing them from linux and not windows but you’d have to use a terminal editor like nano or vim.

Hi,

I’m here again.

My Ubuntu username is the same of my Windows username. It was a coincidence. So, here is my question :

Is it can prejudice me with my development journey at The Odin Project ?

No, it is fine to have the same username for both windows and linux.

Thank you so much

I think that now I can install ruby.

I forgot to ask one question :

"“The WSL program files are well hidden but it’s super important that you do not edit these files from Windows. Ignoring this will cause serious problems to your Ubuntu installation and possibly your Windows installation.”

What does “edit” mean in this case ?

Edit means to edit the file, in the same way you’d edit a word document for example. If you use a windows app to edit any linux file it corrupts it. It won’t be an issue if you ensure you create the symbolic link which is given in the installation instructions.

Thank you again.

I’m Brazilian. My folders are in Portuguese, is there a way to change the language of Ubuntu terminal ? My folders have accentuation, like in Portuguese language.

If I try to create a folder with Ubuntu terminal, I believe that it will occur an error because of this.

Just to remember : I’m using WSL.

Well, this isn’t something I’m familiar with but a quick Google gave me https://superuser.com/questions/1108090/how-do-i-change-the-language-of-the-linux-subsystem-in-windows-10-wsl

Have a read and see if it makes sense.

I read and I tried to write the same thing in the terminal, but it did not work for me.

“LANG=pt_BR.UTF8”, this is the error.

I will try to research it.

Thank you again.

Hi,

The Ubuntu update in my WSL shows some Python files. Is it possible to conflict with my Python downloaded with Windows 10?

No, it shouldn’t do.