VirtualBox Error: Beginner, Please help

Hello everyone,

Just a beginner here and this is my 2nd day of self-learning. Yesterday, the Virtual Box and Xubuntu were working fine and I was able to work in the Virtual Machine. Last night, I shut down my computer and was planning to continue today when the below error happens.

I could not open Xubuntu (Inaccessible it says). Please help me with this and what to do if the same problem occurs in the future. I tried googling and looking it here but it seems like other posts are different cases.

Failed to open the medium with following ID: {d5c28ac8-19d6-4b61-8bba-242054856618}. The given path ‘{d5c28ac8-19d6-4b61-8bba-242054856618}’ is not fully qualified. Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004) Component: MediumWrap Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1} Callee: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d} Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

4 Likes

Hi chimAEra,

Please try removing the .vdi image (Take note of where this file is located) from your VM, then try adding it back as a hard drive attachment.

No. 1 in the image is the location of the .vdi file. You will need to find this again.
No. 2 in the image is where you remove the hard drive attachment.
No. 3 in the image is where you add the file again from the Location you took note of in No. 1

If it doesn’t work, please could you attach the .vbox file. You can get to this file by right-clicking on the VM and selecting “Show in Explorer”

2 Likes

Hey, I am having the same issue as above, but I cannot even click on the xubuntu not even to access the settings nor right click it. When I do, the vm produces the same error code and give infinite error prompts causing the vm to crash. Anyway around that? I also could not find a solution anywhere.

Thanks

1 Like

absolutely the same problem , do you fix it?

I was able to resolve it only after I removed the xubuntu by deleting the entire xubuntu files.
On a Windows PC just go to C:\Users\YourUsername\VirtualBox VMs
Once you get there you can delete the Xubuntu folder entirely and just start the process over as you originally did creating the VM.

Fix it, found decision in VirtualBox forum, here it is

1. Launch “Activity Monitor.app”. Menu “View” » “All Processes” » click on the “Process Name” header to sort them by name.

2. Quit VirtualBox. Then on the “Activity Monitor” make sure that there’s no “VBoxSVC” process.

3. “Your disk” ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨"Your user name" ▸ ⁨VirtualBox VMs⁩ ▸ Xubuntu ▸ Xuuntu.vbox with a text editor (TextWrangler, Atom, TextEdit). Delete the following 4 lines :
    <DVDImages> <Image uuid="{126dfdde-1b76-4dce-88a5-b1f30a893bb7}" location="/Users/user/Downloads/ubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso"/> <Image uuid="{0e3ca4cf-63fe-432c-aa09-079e300a8844}" location="/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso"/> </DVDImages>

8 Likes

Awesome , thanks

The solution provided by @sahion worked fine for me. Thanks a lot!

I’m having the same exact issue and I tried your solution and it didn’t work. I’m on Windows 10. Anyone have a solution?

1 Like

If you’re not worried of losing anything you have on your vm you can try this. I am also on win 10 and solved it this way initially. You just have to make your vm again.

I did that already and it did it again. I’d like to not have to create the vm again every time I turn it off.

2 Likes

I’m fairly new to this, so I am not sure what else you could try. maybe someone else has another solution they can hopefully share. :persevere:

Bump. I am having the exact same problem on Windows 10, it worked for one day and not anymore. I get the same error message. Why is The Odin Project having us use a barely functional emulator - if we are all running into the same error. I’d like not to have to delete my entire emulator every other day. Please help.
(edit for context: Sahion’s reply unfortunately did not fix the problem for me)

1 Like

What if your try running xubuntu off a USB? That may work instead of using it through the VM.:thinking:

Had the same issue and this ended up fixing it. Does anyone know what the actual cause of the issue was in the first place? For me, it seemed like it was working fine yesterday then suddenly stopped working today for no reason.

This worked for me as well! I reinstalled the VM yesterday and got the same error message today.

Woahhh. This works like magicccc! Thanks, @sahion

Thank you so much. It worked like a charm!

Worked for me as well. For now…

Hey. Its worked for me.

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc together. This will give you access to the resource monitor which is the first field that’s open. Sort by name now. VSC Box or whatever OP called it will be there. End thst process.

Now go into file explorer and follow the other steps. Delete the lines of code.

This should fix it on Win10.