VBox Linux command not working

I am in the early stages of the project, and have installed the VM with Ubuntu (I am using windows). Step 3 of prerequisites tells me to type a command in the terminal, at which point I will be asked for a password. I was able to complete this step without a hitch. Step 4 is similar but a different command. when i entered the command
‘’’
sudo /media/$USER/Vbox*/VboxLinux*.run
‘’’
it requested a password just like in step 3, but returned an error that such a command doesnt exist.

Id really like to make sure Iget all of these parts correct before i try moving further. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hey I actually ran into the same issue as you yesterday lol.

$user is referring to your username/account
VBox* is the name of a directory
VboxLinux*.run is a file

The way I found the location was to cd /media and then you can use the “ls” command to look at the files and folders in that location

Then from there you can continue to cd into those locations until you find the VboxLinux*.run
To run the program you do “sudo ./VboxLinux*.run”(whatever the real name of the file is)

Hope this helps and I didn’t confuse you more lol. Good luck.

5 Likes

Hey Danny, I tried what you said but I’m still having issues. The password prompt comes up but it doesn’t let me write anything

I had this problem too. The first step is to insert the guest additions cd. To do this start your virtual machine and at the top of the window there is a drop down tab that says “Devices” click that and select “Insert Guest Additions CD image”., After I did that I ran the command just fine.

5 Likes

Thank you man, kudos for that!

Linux is case sensitive, VBox not equal Vbox
prerequisites: sudo /media/$USER/VBox*/VBoxLinux*.run (may be it was edited since you’ve posted)
your command: sudo /media/$USER/Vbox*/VboxLinux*.run

2 Likes

Hey all,

This kind of necro’s the thread but I had the same issue and found this.

What worked for me was using “VBoxLinuxAdditions.run” for the last part instead of including the asterisk. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I had to reinstall Xubuntu 2ice because I found so many wrong things online that I ended up deleting something important, but now I am on my way. Thanks again!

I Had this problem today, and I want to reiterate how important it is to enter in the command correctly.

sudo /media/$USER/VBox*/VBoxLinux*.run

Thanks. I was getting to the correct directory, but, once there, ran ‘sudo VBoxLinu.run’. I was misisng the ‘./’.

sudo /media/$USER/VBox_GAs_9.1.9*/VBoxLinuxAdditions*.run
this worked for me.

How did i find it:
Go to your ubuntu file manager and find the file path that leads to VBoxlinux.run ( mine was called VBoxLinuxAdditions.run). The replace VBox with what your Ubuntu called the file name… mine is VBox_GAs_9.1.9 . Then replace VBoxLinux.run with what is called on yours… mine was VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

2 Likes

Thank you! This worked. I’ve been stuck on it for like 20 minutes, and boom! Just like that.

You are welcome @Ivy-Willow vy

1 Like

pls what password prompt

Hello @MBANUGO , hope this is not late. This is the password you used when you set up xubuntu. You remember you added a password during installation

Hi chioma,
Please help out
I am stuck at the same command and am just lost.
I arrive at the xubuntu file manager but can’t locate the file path you mentioned.
Please you can personally help me out. Omorinoye2@gmail.com

Can’t i use another app except Ubuntu