Ubuntu/windows dual boot tips

I want to share my experience of setting up dual linux/windows boot. Initially, I installed the Ubuntu alone side windows 7 on the same physical hard drive but on different partition. Somehow, the original partitions were corrupted and all data was lost. Fortunately, nothing too important. Then, I installed a second hard drive to install Ubuntu. I am using a laptop(Lenovo E560). What i did was I removed the DVD drive and bought a HD caddy adapter and installed the second hard drive to replace the DVD drive. The end result is win7 is on one physical hard drive and Ubuntu is on the another physical hard drive. During the boot, press F12 to choose between the two hard drives. This method separate the Linux/Windows physically and prevent unintended data damage.

This is solid advice for a dual-boot set up. However, can I ask why you don’t use a Virtual Machine? To me this seems like the best solution, since you can access it from within your main OS like a regular ‘program’ and can also transfer it to a different machine entirely fairly easily. Not saying your wrong for doing it this way, just wondering what your reasoning is.

Couple reasons to run Linux on it’s own rather than in Virtual machine.

• Real thing is better than simulation. It’s just better user experience.
    -The Linux has direct access to the computer.
    -Less distraction from Windows. In Virtual machine, it’s one application windows out of many application windows and switching back and forth wastes lots of time.

After running Ubuntu for couple days, I find I don’t really need MS windows for most of time. The only time I need MS windows is to run Windows exclusive software. Ubuntu is a lot better than I used it 10 years ago. It has better UI, more efficiency.