Stuck on Rock Paper Scissors Project

Hey guys. This is embarrassing, but I can’t figure out how to do the Rock Paper Scissors project.

I know that computerSelection and playerSelection are returning the values I want, but I cannot get my if else if statements to work properly.

function computerPlay(){
let computerHand = Math.random();
if (computerHand <= .30){
computerHand = “rock”;
} else if (computerHand <= .60) {
computerHand = “paper”;
} else {
computerHand = “scissors”;
}

return computerHand;
}

function playRound(playerSelection, computerSelection) {
if (playerSelection.toLowerCase() === “rock” && computerSelection === “paper”){
return(“Computer wins!”);
} else if (playerSelection.toLowerCase() === “rock” && computerSelection === “scissors”) {
return(“Player wins!”);
} else if (playerSelection.toLowerCase() === “rock” && computerSelection === “paper”) {
} else if (playerSelection.toLowerCase() === “paper” && computerSelection === “rock”) {
return(“Player wins!”);
} else if (playerSelection.toLowerCase() === “paper” && computerSelection === “scissors”) {
} else if (playerSelection.toLowerCase() === “scissors” && computerSelection === “paper”) {
return(“Player wins!”);
} else if (playerSelection.toLowerCase() === “scissors” && computerSelection === “rock”) {
}else {
return(“IT’S A TIE!!!”);
}

}

const playerSelection = “PAPER”;
const computerSelection = computerPlay();
console.log(playerSelection.toLowerCase());
console.log(computerPlay());

console.log(playRound(playerSelection, computerSelection));

Hello, I tested your code and your computerPlay() and playRound() functions are both working as intended. I think the reason you aren’t seeing the results properly is because of this line: console.log(computerPlay());
This is calculating a new hand. Replace it with console.log(computerSelection); and everything should be working fine.

Oh my goodness I look like a fool… Thank you!
May I ask why console.log(computerPlay()); is returning the next hand and not the current one?

it is because you are running the function twice.

So the function in and of itself runs once, then calling the function name through console.log(); runs it for a second time? Am I understanding that correctly?

From your code above;

const computerSelection = computerPlay(); ★run the function once
console.log(computerPlay()); ★ and here run the function second time

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Crystal clear.

Thank you both so much for taking the time to explain.

:slight_smile: