Sqfile3 issue

I sincerely apologize because I know this has been asked many times, but I cannot get sqfile3 to install on the first rails project. I have googled and read through everything I can find on this forum and none of the posed solutions seem to be working.

I am running ruby 2.6.1 on a chromebook using crouton unbuntu and have followed every step in the project. I have spent the last 3 trying changing the gemfile to 1.3.13, 1.4, 1.3.6 and so on. Here is the error part and any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Fetching sqlite3 1.4.0
Installing sqlite3 1.4.0 with native extensions
Gem::Ext::BuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

current directory: /home/towns/.rbenv/versions/2.6.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/sqlite3-1.4.0/ext/sqlite3

/home/towns/.rbenv/versions/2.6.1/bin/ruby -I /home/towns/.rbenv/versions/2.6.1/lib/ruby/2.6.0 -r
./siteconf20190412-30671-1smeynn.rb extconf.rb
checking for sqlite3.h… no
sqlite3.h is missing. Try ‘brew install sqlite3’,
‘yum install sqlite-devel’ or ‘apt-get install libsqlite3-dev’
and check your shared library search path (the
location where your sqlite3 shared library is located).
*** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary
libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may
need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
–with-opt-dir
–without-opt-dir
–with-opt-include
–without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
–with-opt-lib
–without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
–with-make-prog
–without-make-prog
–srcdir=.
–curdir
–ruby=/home/towns/.rbenv/versions/2.6.1/bin/$(RUBY_BASE_NAME)
–with-sqlcipher
–without-sqlcipher
–with-sqlite3-config
–without-sqlite3-config
–with-pkg-config
–without-pkg-config
–with-sqlcipher
–without-sqlcipher
–with-sqlite3-dir
–without-sqlite3-dir
–with-sqlite3-include
–without-sqlite3-include=${sqlite3-dir}/include
–with-sqlite3-lib
–without-sqlite3-lib=${sqlite3-dir}/lib

To see why this extension failed to compile, please check the mkmf.log which can be found here:

/home/towns/.rbenv/versions/2.6.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/extensions/x86_64-linux/2.6.0-static/sqlite3-1.4.0/mkmf.log

extconf failed, exit code 1

Gem files will remain installed in /home/towns/.rbenv/versions/2.6.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/sqlite3-1.4.0 for
inspection.
Results logged to
/home/towns/.rbenv/versions/2.6.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/extensions/x86_64-linux/2.6.0-static/sqlite3-1.4.0/gem_make.out

An error occurred while installing sqlite3 (1.4.0), and Bundler cannot continue.
Make sure that gem install sqlite3 -v '1.4.0' --source 'https://rubygems.org/' succeeds before bundling.

In Gemfile:
sqlite3

What is your system version of sqlite3, when you run sqlite3 -v?

First, let me say thank you for taking the time to help me out. I am just getting started and feel completely lost. Here is what it says:

(xenial)towns@localhost:~$ sqlite3 -v
sqlite3: Error: unknown option: -v
Use -help for a list of options.

@TTowns sorry the late reply. First, try locally installing a version of sqlite3 that isn’t 1.4.0. Try:
gem install sqlite3 -v 1.3.13