Scripting help for calculator project

Hey guys,

I’m stuck on the early stages of scripting for the calculator project. I got so far as to change the display on the calculator to whatever number is clicked, but I can’t figure out how to store that info in a variable to access later.

My code is below. #display is the display field on the calculator, .number is the class of buttons which are numbered. The code works in terms of changing the number on the display, but I don’t know how to store that change (aka number) for later use. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can’t seem to figure this one out. Thanks! -Erik

const display = document.body.querySelector(’#display’);
document.querySelectorAll(’.number’).forEach(item =>
item.addEventListener(‘click’, function(e) {
display.textContent = e.target.textContent;
}));

Hey Erik,

You could potentially store it in an array which means you could keep pushing all the input to it until it’s ready to be calculated.

Hi Erik,
An alternative to using an array would be to simply multiply your current value by 10, then add what was clicked.
For example, consider the following function:

let displayValue = 0;
const clickNum = num => displayValue = displayValue * 10 + num;

Calling clickNum with a number 0-9 will add that digit to the end of displayValue, like so:

clickNum(1); // displayValue = 1
clickNum(2); // displayValue = 12
clickNum(0); // displayValue = 120
clickNum(5); // displayValue = 1205
clickNum(5); // displayValue = 12055

Resetting would then be as simple as setting displayValue to 0.

Applying this to what you currently have would like something like this:

const display = document.querySelector('#display');
let displayValue = 0;

// clickNum function here

document.querySelectorAll('.number').forEach(num => {
  num.addEventListener('click', e => {
    // call clickNum
    // set the texContent of your display element to the value stored in displayValue
  });
});

I’ll let you fill in the blanks :wink:

Thank you guys! The array definitely works and is what I was initially going for, but it looks like the displayValue idea will greatly simplify my code. It’s nice to learn tricks like this.

-Erik