Rock Paper Scissors UI -- issue displaying winner

Hi,

I’m currently having an issue with the UI version of the Rock Paper Scissors project.

I’d like to call my nameWinner function when either the player or the computer reaches 5 points, but right now, it only runs when I click on the screen, outside of the buttons. Can someone give me a hint about fixing this?

I think the problem might be somewhere in the code below. Here’s the repo for my javascript file on github: https://github.com/MrkH615/RockPaperScissors-GUI/blob/master/main.js

Many thanks!

document.addEventListener('click', startGame = (e) => {
    if (e.target.tagName == 'BUTTON') {    //needed so playerPoints and computerPoints don't get compared before player clicks a button

if (playerPoints < 5 && computerPoints < 5) {  //stops once one side get 5 points, but screen outside of buttons needs to be clicked to run nameWinner

if (playerSelection === computerSelection) { 
        roundNumber++;
        result = tie(playerSelection, computerSelection);

}  else  if (playerSelection ==="rock" && computerSelection === "paper") {
        roundNumber++;
        result = computerWins(playerSelection, computerSelection);

}  else if (playerSelection === "rock"  && computerSelection === "scissors") {
        roundNumber++;
        result = playerWins(playerSelection, computerSelection);

} else if (playerSelection === "paper"  && computerSelection === "scissors") {
        roundNumber++;

}   else if (playerSelection === "paper" && computerSelection === "rock") {
        roundNumber++;

} else if (playerSelection === "scissors" && computerSelection === "paper") {
        roundNumber++;

}  else if (playerSelection === "scissors" && computerSelection === "rock") {
        roundNumber++;
      }  
    } 
  } else if (computerPoints >= 5 || playerPoints >= 5) { // to specify when nameWinner() can be called

nameWinner(playerPoints, computerPoints);

/*
    With just else (rather than else if (computerPoints >= 5 || playerPoints >= 5) ), the  following  lets nameWinner() be called by 
    a click on the screen outside a button even after just one point has been scored  
    -- Why?
    */

document.addEventListener('click', (event) => {
      window.location.reload();
    });

}

});

}

function makeHumanScore(playerPoints) {
  const humanPoints = document.querySelector('#human');
  humanPoints.textContent = `Human:  ${playerPoints}`;
} 

function makeComputerScore(computerPoints) {
  const cmptrPoints = document.querySelector('#computer');
  cmptrPoints.textContent=`Computer:  ${computerPoints}`;
} 

playGame();

I finished this project like 2 weeks ago, but I thought I’d take a stab at seeing what is going on for you. It will only trigger with a click event, because nameWinner() is inside a click event - as the else to if (e.target.tagName == 'BUTTON'). So, it will only be triggered when you click outside of any of the buttons.

So, you need to trigger the nameWinner() function outside of that click event - maybe inside the playerWins() and the computerWins() functions. Right at the 5 point threshold.

Thanks for your help, @rlmoser99! I’m trying out your suggestions and moving around when I call nameWinner(). Here’s hoping!