Newbie programmer passionate for conservation

Hello from Portland, OR!

I recently decided to do a 180 career switch from Wildlife Ecology to Web Developer. I’m passionate about wildlife and conservation, but my ultimate goal is to be able to work remotely so that I can travel! I have a small background in programming (6 java courses at university), so I’m here to re-build my skills and learn some new ones! I loved the programming courses I took - from data structures to algorithms - and can’t wait to get back into the problem solving mindset. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to combine my programming and conservation career!

Awesome goals and totally achievable! That’s one of the most exciting things about programming and especially web development imo, is it already has potential to touch pretty much any aspect of life and that’ll only increase over the coming years. I’m sure getting some experience with widely-used technology will put you in a really good place to go down a niche path that you’re most interested in after a few years. Best of luck on your journey!

Thanks so much for the encouraging response! Glad to know that I’m heading down the right path for the future that I want.