Newbie let's learn together

Hi everyone, my Name is Josh, I’m glad to be here and planning on starting tomorrow morning… Anyone who wants to take this ride and be study partners kindly come through…

6 Likes

Hi, Josh! I’ll bite. As I say in my own post, I’m really struggling and could use some moral support and technical/general advice here-and-there. My email is “dibleauzah@gmail.com;” similar handle (“dibleauzah”) on GitHub. Regardless of whether or not we work together, I wish you the best of luck on your software engineering-learning journey! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there room for one more ? I sure some accountability would help this process.

2 Likes

I’d love to join the small group. Discord would be great, here’s my username Nightingale#6255

2 Likes

Hi, we can plan on discord or here and see how best to do this my handle is BeefyB.

1 Like

There’s more than enough room… trying to figure out how this will work

2 Likes

“Exhibit A” that y’all are doing much better than Yours Truly? You’re using Discord! I’ve tried it a couple of times–first with the Odin-guided set-up, then to scour for fellow newbies, but I just find it SO overwhelming. Way too much going on! :frowning: But, this forum is much better… So how should we do this?

–> First, let me share a little bit of my story: I’m a prospective career-changer of sorts, trying to transition to data science and web-dev from academia. Since 2016, I’ve dabbled in coding, but it’s only recently that I’ve really decided to (do my best to) take the plunge. (Additional quick “btw”: I can also link up on LinkedIn with anyone who wants to: https://www.linkedin.com/in/seif-sekalala-430b8a21)

–> My plan: do/treat this like an independent “coding boot camp”: dedicate no less than 5 hours a day, max. 8, studying and practicing, for around 3 months minimum, 6 max. (Related fyi: for anyone interested, I can try to somehow share the contents of a great algorithm book I got from the “Coding Dojo” online bootcamp before chickening out after barely a week. But yay (!), I got to keep their awesome algorithms book! Please lmk [if you’re interested]!)

–> That’s where y’all come in, folks! :slight_smile: This s**t is SO effing hard! For instance: so far, I don’t think I’ve managed to successfully set up the “git_test” (local drive-to-git shell?) thingi, meaning I can’t share my coding work on GitHub. And for my Udemy “Python Mega Course,” I kept getting a stooopid annoying “Can’t initiate device PRN” msg on my PC terminal. Scoured the web–StackX, etc. Tried their solutions (setting up a new “PATH”), nada. Deleted and re-installed Python and Virtual Studio Code, again, nada. For now, I am bypassing that roadblock by using my MacBook. That G_d for it! :expressionless:

Sorry, folks. Sometimes, all you need is a good vent! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

One last note for now. I try to be a good–i.e. efficient, polite/courteous, etc.–communicator, but please bare with me here-and-there, if I am slow to respond to the forum posts. My sleep patterns are very erratic. The best way to reach me quicker/directly is via my related email, “dibleauzah@gmail.com.”

Sorry for the “verbosity!” :frowning:

Edit; 08-20-20, Approx. 7:30 PM:

I believe I’m sloooowwwwly (!) getting the hang of that fancy Discord thingi! :rofl: But please bear with me!
Discord ID: dibleauzah#0068

2 Likes

Hi, “Beefy”! “Pleased to make your acquaintance.” As I just wrote in my bible-length rant farther below, :slight_smile: I prefer this forum. Much more sane-looking to my “unbroken-in” newbie eyes/brain, vs. Discord. I find it (Discord) too disorienting.

Hahahaha I’ve had a good laugh…one the Discord is a work in progress, I didn’t even know there’s a tutorial to set it up…I just fumbled, keep fumbling till I figure it out…Don’t worry just give yourself some time off do something different the. Try set up the Git with a fresh mind…I’m doing that now too… I think communication here or discord will work we’ll work with the time lapses hehehe…also I’m also new to coding trying to move from IT support…

What’s your discord id??

dibleauzah#0068

Welcome! The more the merrier! :slight_smile:

From my own post above (or is it below :thinking:):
I believe I’m sloooowwwwly (!) getting the hang of that fancy Discord thingi! :rofl: But please bear with me!

Welcome!

From my own post above (or is it below :thinking:):

Sent a friend request!

Still up to join? Send ur Discord & I can add you to the group

1 Like

hey beef can you add me too the discord group my handle is mustard8390. #abc

1 Like

mustard8390

Hi, I would love to join your small group.
I also started web development recently and would be happy to join you

gabriel84#8373

1 Like

Hi, Gabriel.

For some reason, your Discord (?) handle keeps getting rejected when I send the friend request…here’s mine. dibleauzah#0068

Hi, everyone. So, especially for anyone on EST or CST (N.-American) time, I wonder if we can arrange group-based working meetings ahead of time? As in, where we all do the modules at our own pace, but are available to chat with each other, in case one or more folks gets stuck on a(n) (set of) assignment/module? Josh, I can actually do the same thing with your time-zone, as I’m a night-owl… ¯_(ツ)_/¯