Linux Ubuntu - software installation

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hello @siddhesh

If you already got the necessary software;
I think you only have to update it to get the latest version.

apt-get upgrade

Henry

Thanks @henry for the reply!

Yes I did apt-update and apt-upgrade, but how can I be sure which softwares are already installed? Thats why I was wondering if I simply copy-paste the line given in the TOP page (the whole list of softwares), will it overwrite the already installed ones.

Hello @siddhesh

To check which version is installed you can verify by running the command with version option.
For example you can check the version of git by running the following command.

git --version

Henry

Thanks @henry I checked the softwares and now have installed only the ones which were missing.
One query though - what are these softwares (libssl-dev, libreadline-dev, zlib1g-dev, libsqlite3-dev) ? How can we check if they are installed ?

Hello @siddhesh

If I am not mistaken
“libssl-dev, libreadline-dev, zlib1g-dev, libsqlite3-dev”
these are library files (dependency files) which is needed to run the specific commands.

For example libssl-dev maybe need when running ssl related commands such as ssh or scp.

Henry

thanks a lot @henry
Sorry if those sounded like silly questions. Am trying ruby out for the first time :slight_smile:

No problem.
We are all learning new things everyday.
:slight_smile:

Henry

@henry I am stuck a bit at another step here. Hope you can resolve this as well :smile:
Am getting this error :
zsh: command not found: rbenv
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/plugins’: Permission denied

when trying this command => mkdir -p “$(rbenv root)”/plugins

I got it solved :slight_smile:

Hello @siddhesh

great. May I know what seemed to be the problem?

Henry

@henry I am using zsh terminal in Ubuntu, which is different than the bash. So instead of saving all configs to bashrc I had to save them to zshrc file, which solved the issue!

i see. thank you for sharing. :slight_smile:

If you are 1having any sort of installation issue related to the software or any kind of development of the user credentials related to your site then you can take the assistance of bulk sms services kolkata,