Linux or use an online IDE like AWS Cloud9?

Hi there,

I’m brand new to this entire programming world and I wanted some advice on which method to use.

Today’s day 2 of learning and I’m already confused on what to do. I’m using my desktop to learn programming and it’s Windows 7 if that changes anything. I briefly looked at AWS and saw the pricing structure but I don’t know if that’s the way to go as I start out nor do I know if its just better to install Linux. I would like the smoothest user-friendly method since I’m so new to this life.

Thanks for the assist!

E: I guess my next question would be if I go the Linux route if I should run a VM or Dual boot?

Using a VM depends on how powerful your PC is. It can be slow on older computers.

Saying that. I would at least advise you try a linux distro in a VM first to see how you get on with it. There are a few to choose from.

Hey there,

If you have a PC with a lot of memory in your SSD/Hard Drive then I would suggest installing Linux alongside your Windows so that you could use one of them whenever you need. That’s what I do personally and it is very comfortable because I get best of the both worlds.

However, if you are going to do dual OS, then I would suggest following The Odin Project installation guide and https://www.lifewire.com/ultimate-windows-7-ubuntu-linux-dual-boot-guide-2200653 this one alongside.

If you need any help, feel free to contact me.

Good Luck,
Mantas

So I’ve followed TOP Setup method but under step 2.2 it states “Increase the Processor(s) to 2.” and my computer wont allow me to move it from 1 and I don’t know why.

Can i still use the VM with it being only 1 processor?
I checked this desktop and its BIOS is from 2011 :grimacing:

E: So I don’t think this VM is meant to be with this desktop, I’ve been trying to enable the VT which may be the cause of the 1 CPU problem but I cant find any trace of Hyper-V/VT on this computer, I cant even find the BIOS Setup anywhere. So I guess I’ll need to use something like AWS Cloud for my journey into programming. Thanks.

You may need to enable virtualization in the BIOS.

Try mashing ‘delete’, ‘F1’ or ‘F2’ (or possibly some other key) while the machine boots (starts up). You may need multiple restarts to find the right key.

Even better would be to google the make/model of your machine and follow instructions there for entering BIOS.

You might also want to check how much RAM you have, and possibly how many cores / virtual cores, as this may affect your decision on whether to bother or not. If we’re talking low-spec machine in 2011, then native Linux may well be a sweet improvement. If it was high-end in 2011, then a VM may run smooth and fast, with no problems.