Languages to learn

What languages would you recommend to focus on, im a complete beginner wanting to do web development.
Suggestions for front/back end now in 2019, im from the UK if there is a specific shortage im not sure…

Thanks!

Hey!

Personally, I would just follow the curriculum here as a complete beginner. Don’t worry too much about languages for now as most of them will be able to do the same or similar things.

Looking back, I wasted so much time trying to decide on which language to learn, that it slowed my progress significantly. You will pick up everything you need through this curriculum and then once you have a baseline of knowledge in the languages taught here, you will find it pretty easy to transition and learn new languages along the way depending on the job market/employer requirements.

I hope that helps.

Alex

@SEvans85 Hey there! As a complete beginner, you will find this course extraordinarily helpful to guide you down the right path for languages, knowledge, and thinking as a programmer. To answer your question specifically:

Front End:
You will want to master HTML5, CSS, and Javascript. Understanding these client side languages is crucial for building any application. Once you have established a very very strong foundation I would recommend checking out ReactJS or AngularJS.

Back End:
I would focus on learning SQL vs non-relational databases for databases. As for server side programming languages, PHP is massive and widely used, but you can even learn NodeJS which is quite popular and you will be using your Javascript knowledge! From NodeJS you can pick up new frameworks like ExpressJS to make your life easier.

Summary:
Start with the front end logic and HTML, CSS, Javascript and eventually branch out to discover frameworks, libraries, and building dynamic full stack applications! :slight_smile:

I’m with theoboldalex on this one. I try to be language agnostic; i.e. the concepts are more important than what language you use to implement them, and being able to move between multiple languages brings a more effective flexibility. Despite this, I still have my personal favorites.

Having said that, smarcus’s advice to start with HTML, CSS and JavaScript means you can make things you can actually see and use (static web-pages) while learning the basics, and can also be sure you are learning key front-end skills. (I would note that only one of those is really a programming language, however).

As for back-end, obviously this course is focused on Ruby, and Ruby on Rails. There’s no one reason to choose this over PHP or other popular languages / frameworks used in the back-end, except personal taste, possible knowledge of what type of work you might want (eventually), and the obvious fact that studying Rails might be easiest if you want to get all your initial studies in one place (here).

Basically, you might be best to just start at the beginning of this course, and when you do get into it you may well find you can answer the question for yourself :wink: