Issues installing Ruby

Hi All,

I am having issues install Ruby via the via Web Development 101. I am just starting a book to better understand everything so I am sorry if my question is low level or whatever but…

When checking my ruby install I got
shims in PATH: not found error.

I then, as prompted by the directions in Web Development 101, to redo the install directions. Now, upon opening the terminal I get:
Command ‘rbenv’ is available in ‘/usr/bin/rbenv’
The command could not be located because ‘/usr/bin’ is not included in the PATH environment variable.
rbenv: command not found.

Any help or pointing to the correct resources to learn/fix this issue are much appreciated. I have a low starting knowledge/general knowledge regarding this subject but I am actively working on it. Again, any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.

Also-due to my level of expereince would anyone suggest a virutal machine vs dual boot. I have duel booted linoux before but was not sure if I needed to since win10 seems to have the WSL compoent. Any guidance is apprecaited.

hi @YinTar89,
you are using windows or linux ?
and if you are using linux, did you updated the sudo apt-get?

Win 10

then you should dual boot with ubuntu or use ubuntu in virtual machine or WSL.

Sorry, I was not clear. I am using the WSL option. Do you think dual boot would be better or even VM?

i don’t think, these all are good but personally i like WSL.

Great ! Thanks. @AREEBAISHTIAQ

Should I just start from the beginning again with installing Ruby? or is there a command to undo what I did to re attempt the install?

just open the terminal and type bash and follow the guide from updating sudo apt-get

I get this error:

Command ‘sudo’ is available in ‘/usr/bin/sudo’
The command could not be located because ‘/usr/bin’ is not included in the PATH environment variable.
sudo: command not found

did you have downloaded WSL correctly?

i believe so, but I could be wrong.

when you type bash in command prompt, is the bash is running?

It was until I started trying to install ruby now no commands work in the terminal. Really confused what I should be looking for even at this point.

i think something is wrong with your WSL,maybe you should uninstall it and do it again, it’s up to you.
you can install it with microsoft’s guide

i’m using a vm on my windows10 i tried installing ruby but it gave an error code.ruby%20error how can i fix this problem