Installing Ruby (on Fedora)

Hi everyone,

Another newbie here.
First off, thank you very much to the project owners and all contributors for all the hard work.

I was going through WebDev 101 on my Fedora 28.

The installation process was a bit painful because the Linux instruction focuses on Debian based distros.

Elsewhere, I read someone recommending to install it using the usual method for the OS. (i.e. apt-get, yum, dnf, etc) which would also help with updates. I think it would also be a great help for new people like me. I am wondering why the RVM method was chosen, and would be grateful if someone could explain the advantage of choosing it.

While here, may I suggest an edit?

On Fedora, (Also Redhat, CentOS, etc) the following command should help install the dependencies.

sudo yum install  curl nodejs gcc make openssl-devel readline-devel zlib-devel sqlite-devel

Replace yum with dnf for newer versions of Fedora.

Tip for fellow newbies

Read the error message. Usually, it tells you what is missing, and how to install it.

Hi @100cube

Where does it mention using rvm because that was updated to now use rbenv to manage Ruby versions.

Hi @CouchofTomato

Thanks for your reply and correction. Newbie confusion. :slight_smile:

Still though, isn’t using the OS’s package manager easier for newbies as it would have taken care of some of the dependencies and other complexities? Please note that this is not a criticism of TOP but only a suggestion for the method to be reconsidered (based on my frustrating experience on that section of my journey so far).

Yes, using a package manager is much easier. If you have a relevant package then by all means use it. I don’t use rbenv or rvm myself anymore so I’m not sure if there are up to date packages.