How do you study/read/take notes while learning on TOD?

How did you learn while doing TOD? Did you take notes?
Did you study notes? Did you practice additional exercises or did you just stick to the projects on the curriculum?

Currently in my third attempt to keep coding and this has been the best platform that I have come across. I just don’t know if I should take a different approach. The past few times, conditional statements have really discourage me from advancing. I feel like I understand how they work, but I don’t really know when I’ll be applying them.

Thanks for the tips.

Hello! Wishing you luck on your coding

I’m currently over halfway through Web Development 101 and I take notes!

I have a document on Google Drive where I just write down things that I can’t remember off the top of my head (which is a lot) and things I don’t understand (also a lot). I have a page or two literally explaining how Git works because I’d never heard of it before this curriculum. I find the document useful when I’ve mucked something up and I can go read something written in my own words.

I do some of the extra activities TOP lists if I want to make sure I properly understand something. Sometimes I skip some of a section (see: developer tools) if it’s making me drag my feet for too long. I haven’t done any activities they haven’t asked me to do if you’re worried about needing to do more.

People also post on the forums to code in pairs to get through tracks together if that’s an option you’d like to pursue - maybe doing it with someone else will motivate you?

Otherwise, if you’re ever in doubt, pop onto the discord and ask a question! Lots of people are willing to help if you don’t understand how certain code works, or if your code isn’t working properly and you’re not sure why.

Hello Steve!

When it comes to learning software development or coding, it’s always best to immerse yourself in as much practice as possible! Taking notes - especially on paper - is great for really imprinting the lessons in your memory.

However, there is no substitute for actually coding. It’s great when you sit down and try to apply what you learned. You’ll try taking in a string from the user, try to capitalize it, and realize you forgot exactly how. This forces you to look it up, apply it, and really commit it to memory. Sometimes, your most important learning is done when you try to do stuff on your own, fail, find the solution, and forge onwards.

As for conditional statements, you use them a lot in coding. Most the time, you need your code to be able to make decisions or account for certain situations. Say you write a program that asks the user to give it commands in the terminal. What if the user says exit? You would want an if-statement to check for something like that and then execute whatever code necessary.

Again, you do your best learning by doing. Feel free to take notes, but I strongly suggest you do all the exercises The Odin Project suggests and then some to help you grow as a developer.

Are you typing these things down? Or using a notebook?
I am using a notebook and I feel like I am writing a lot of things down myself. But I’m also trying to challenge myself and try to come up with ways before I google anything. However, I think google is the faster route. I got stuck on the google homepage for a few weeks because I was trying to do things I have not even learn. So in the end, I just did a simple version of it and was proud with how I put it together. haha

I’ve thought about pairing up and having someone to code along with but my work schedule is pretty hectic and I don’t want to slow people down etc

I started writing at first, but realised I wrote much slower than I could type.

I’m not sure if not looking things up is a big issue. If it is, I’m not doing a very good job.
For HTML & CSS I think it’s good to look stuff up. It is far easier to read on how to vertically center a box than it is for me to randomly type and hope it works. If I read up on how to manipulate something in CSS, I learn more about what properties I can use and have vague knowledge of how to do it in future. Not copy and paste - reading through and seeing how you can use it on your own code.

Sometimes it’s something simple, like wondering why text-size isn’t working, when in reality, I should be using font-size.

Looking at other people’s work under Student Solutions is also fun for me since it has simpler code. I can see how close I got, or can look at how they did something I couldn’t figure out.

Pairing isn’t ideal for me either. But it’s easy to find someone in a similar part of the track as you on discord or in the forums. Seeing them asking questions about things I’m stuck on, or things I could help with, helps to motivate me as well.