Having issues with the Projects

Hello,

I’m brand new to coding and have found TOP amazing. I like the structured walk through and the diverse material it presents as I’m learning new concepts. However, my main gripe is the projects. It may just be me, but I found myself googling and looking at other student’s projects in order to finish the “Google Homepage” and “Rock, Paper, Scissors” projects. In order to solve the RPS project I had to use a loop–something that wasn’t introduced yet–and don’t necessarily understand why the code works as a whole. I’ve been able to hack the projects together and make them look alright, but I’m not sure if that’s the goal of these. I’m worried that I’m cheating and not getting as much out of this as I should.

TLDR; The projects seem to require more knowledge than is covered in the lessons, so I find exterior sources and have to look at other student’s work to get it done. Am I cheating myself?

Hey @tunztunztunz

We’ve discussed the RPS project because you would assume knowledge of loops which comes later. The author of that just assumed you’d manually run five games and then print the scores.

It’s great you’re wanting more though and reading around subjects, that’s the life of a developer.

OP, I feel the exact same way. And I feel like I’m doing something wrong because the project prompts tend to tell you to do as much as you can before looking at someone else’s project/code for pointers. But the issue is that you can’t Google something if you don’t know that you it’s needed in the first place…(an issue even with the HTML/CSS projects asking you to use skills not really covered anywhere in course material; I even did the freecodecamp HTML/CSS stuff and still apparently didn’t know enough).

However, I think that’s part of it. Trying your best and then seeing what you don’t know/how you came up short whenever you compare your initial results to someone else’s perfect project is the best way to learn. There’s the substantive knowledge aspect (you’re learning what you don’t know), but also, it helps motivate you by causing you feel insecure and thus feel the need to research/study even more.

It’s very uncomfortable, but I think it works.