Has anyone ever mapped out a timeline or schedule for the full course curriculum?

Hello,

I am new to The Odin Project and am starting on the Full Stack JavaScript curriculum. I was wondering if anyone has ever mapped about a rough estimate of how much time it takes to complete each lesson in the course. I am hoping to get an estimate of how much time each section takes so that I can map out a full plan and have time based goals for my learning.

I understand that everyone learns at a different pace so time estimates are going to vary broadly. The main idea is that it’d be nice to have some sort of idea of what sections should take longer than others so that one could pace themselves accordingly.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I’m also a odin newb. Found this article sometimes ago. At the end, there is a time plan. Sorry dont know about the accuracy though http://everydayutilitarian.com/essays/notes-on-the-odin-project/

1 Like

The depth of every lesson is different. Some lessons may give a quick overview while others will contain projects. This makes timing them vary difficult. In addition, it also depends on how much time you can personally devote to studying. And what about your level of focus during the time that you have?

I think the best way to approach it is to just do your best in the time you are giving yourself. Too often I saw learners use arbitrary timelines to create stress for themselves. I’ve been learning for a little over 1.5 years with this resource (I also have a full-time job). Initially, I also wanted some sort of timeline. And I was really stressed for a long time. But at this point, I’ve made peace with the fact that there is a lot to learn and I am happy with myself as long as I’ve given this a sincere shot every day.

4 Likes

Our curriculum is very different from what this post describes. It has changed enough to where I don’t think I’d suggest this for setting up any kind of timeline. In addition, the only way that this would be useful for setting up a timeline is if your circumstances are pretty much the same as the person that wrote this as far as your free time, focus during that free time, determination, prior experience, etc, etc, etc.

2 Likes

Thank you, I really appreciate your replies! I think that you are right in that it would be better for me to focus on consistent progress rather than the stress of arbitrary timelines.

Thank you for this!

focus on consistent progress rather than the stress of arbitrary timelines.

This is key

Another note in relation to that: In this field, you will constantly be learning, it never stops.

1 Like