Full Stack JavaScript Track

Hi, Odin community!

I am close to wrapping up Web Development 101, and trying to figure out what track makes the most sense to continue with. (I know — not a novel question; however, I have some specific questions I am hoping someone might be able to help with.)

1. It seems like the Javascript Curriculum is designed to be the final curriculum for TOP. The overview mentions the final project wrapping “everything you’ve learned at The Odin Project into one, final capstone project.” The few student solutions almost all use a lot of Ruby. The one exception seems to be Axel’s solution, which uses Node. But at this point in the Javascript Track, Node hasn’t been covered yet. Are students adequately prepared to complete this project if they’re going through the Javascript Track?

2. The JavaScript and Rails section of the Javascript curriculum is introduced with “It’s finally time to tie all this juicy Javascript back to what you learned in Rails.” I can’t find any Rails before this point in the Javascript Track, though. Again, I am wondering if students of the Javascript Track are up to speed enough here?

I was initially inclined to do the Javascript Track because it seemed like I would be building the kinds of websites I wanted to create faster, there are numerous references in forums, etc. to Javascript/Node being the more popular languages right now, and because the idea of going deeper into learning one language appealed to me more than bouncing around between Ruby and Javascript. My perceptions may be totally wrong though, please disabuse me of any if you disagree!

I get the impression that the Ruby on Rails Track is better sequenced than the Javascript Track because each curriculum was designed with the Ruby progression in mind. Is this a good reason to switch to the Ruby on Rails Track?

Thanks to anyone who can help, and to the creators if this amazing material!

-Andrew

1 Like

I agree with you going in depth, vertical learning, One Language at a time Along with its Stack
i.e. basic to advanced html & css, one framework for now (react), and backend
So, Be MERN (MongoDB, Express, React, Node),
Stay with it for a year or two, don’t mind the bashers
You will have to learn your second & third ++ languages in the future anyway whether you like it or not

Just reorder the curriculum like this.

For “Full Stack Javascript”

1. Web Dev 101
  2. HTML & CSS
  3. Do again JavaScript Basics in Web Dev 101
    – Review your JavaScript knowledge… redo all exercises, refactor your code i.e. make it clean code
    – Redo the 3 projects, refactor your code,
    – and apply what you’ve learned on Advanced HTML & CSS, make the 3 projects look better, responsive, more features (Do this also on all the projects in JavaScript, NodeJS & Getting Hired)
  4. Javascript
  5. NodeJS
  6. Getting Hired
2 Likes

Why I suggest going that order for the Full Stack JavaScript ?

Here’s why:
On JavaScript / Introduction / 2.A quick review… has conflicting advice

– " If you have recently taken our JavaScript fundamentals series then you will be in good shape to continue here"
– Yet it also says, "It may be a good idea to redo one of the later projects from our fundamentals course such as the calculator or rock-paper-scissors. If you want something fresh to work on, now would be a fine time to do some coding exercises from across the net "

On NodeJS / Introduction to NodeJS / Getting Started
– It says, " it is highly recommended that you take our prerequisite JavaScript course before continuing with this course "
– But before you even do the NodeJS course, you have to go through HTML&CSS course first, which is a kind of a distraction instead of an uninterrupted learning

So a better solution is:

1. Web Dev 101
  2. HTML&CSS
  3. redo JS Basics (exercises & projects)
  4. JS
  5. NodeJS
  6. Getting hired
3 Likes

If you think this is the best process, you should make an issue on the repo so we can consider it more seriously

1 Like

I was thinking about that actually

I’ve been analyzing TOP curriculum on Full Stack JS, & its order really needs a fix

However, the order it’s currently in sets people up to understand how programming works early on, HTML + CSS is irrelevant at that point and our focus is making good problem-solvers first. Doing HTML + CSS earlier may seem more logical, but putting JS before HTML + CSS means that people can start building cool things right away and they don’t have to slog through HTML + CSS when they really just need to dive into working with logic.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies so far. I am still wondering though — whether the Javascript Track is learned as presented or in the order Gary is recommending, it seems like the last two projects in the Javascript curriculum assume I will be able to handle backend. But at this point in the Javascript Track, there has been no Ruby on Rails or Node. Am I missing something? I’ve looked through the tracks, but don’t yet understand exactly what all the content entails.

NodeJS has its own section

There is some changes going on right now. If you do things in order, you’ll have the best results. The lessons will line up better. The one that I can think of that may be “off” is the final Javascript project expecting you to know Rails. We are working on this.

Sorry, I meant the two projects at the end of the Javascript curriculum, not the Javascript Track. At that point if I’ve gone in order I won’t have covered NodeJS yet.

Ok thanks for your input!

The curriculum as-is has worked very well for many people. the “standard” path of HTML -> CSS -> JS -> Backend hasn’t proven to be effective. The Odin Project does not hold your hand much. Almost all of these projects require you to do your own research too.

Doing JS first also allows us to remove the “semantics” of HTML and CSS and just focus on learning how to be a programmer. We want to teach you how to solve any problem that may come your way. HTML won’t help you write a script to automate buying an item that goes out of stock very quickly. Seeing and understanding the power of programming, early, will set you up for success later. I highly recommend you stick to the curriculum as designed. It’s been proven to work very well. We have no incentive to keep it in any specific order, other than it’s effective.

1 Like