Finished HTML/CSS. CSS is not my strong suit

I got the google-homepage finished! :grinning:

I have learned from this exercise that I really struggle specifically with positioning elements with CSS. I was able to get it through trial and error, and lots of reading. After completing it and taking a step back… wow, my code is a bit of a mess, but it works! I can already see a bunch of things I could/should do differently (and maybe I will re-visit this at a later date and compare my work). I’m really looking forward to digging in deeper, getting a better understanding of CSS, and diving into the next stages with JS.

Here is my google-hompage if you want to check it out: https://github.com/jmarndt/google-homepage

Joe

1 Like

congratz man :smiley:
Good luck with the upcoming… keep us posted :relaxed::hugs:

Hey your page looks great! You even got the magnifying glass in there. That took me forever! I know what you mean about CSS. It comes slowly and like anything the more you do it the easier it gets. Just do a little everyday, best way to practice. I find twiddling around on codepens useful and some are really entertaining to see how people did stuff (you can do a lot!).

Holy crap, this looks great. I feel a million miles from being able to do this right now.

CSS takes a little bit of practice. Then you add Bootstrap. :slight_smile:

How long did it take you? I’ve been trying to finish for at least a week, although I am doing very little on a day to day basis since I feel lost.

Wait, do we not write the html and css in the same file? Did freecodecamp teach how to create them in separate files or is that something you learned to do while researching things to do with the project?

I thought style was just put in below the head and above the body.

Man, looking at your HTML and then your CSS stylesheet makes me realise just how far I am from completing this properly. I’m going to have to scrap it and start over, I think.

1 Like

I feel you, he did it really well.

You can add CSS above in tags, and you could also add tags in between the element you wish to modify, but the best way is to create a CSS file separately and link your html file to it.

I think it took 2 or 3 days, but to me that isn’t a great metric. In hours I think it was somewhere around 20, maybe 25.

You can put CSS in the same file, either in it’s own area as you suggest, or even “inline” with the HTML, however best practice to reference the stylesheet in HTML and put the actual CSS in a separate file.

1 Like

But you don’t really need bootstrap