All welcome who want to join a newbie on his JavaScript learning journey!

Hey everyone! :wave:t5: My name is Arthur Bates Jr. I’m a 26 year old graphic designer looking to become more versatile by learning web development. I’ve been learning frontend development for a little over a month now. I know I shouldn’t, but I compare myself to programmers that have been coding since like 7 years old, so this makes me feel way behind the curve and hopeless at times but I try to remain optimistic. I’m currently taking a prep course through Thinkful and gearing up for my upcoming tech evaluation to get into the main cohort. I know basic terminology and syntax, but I fall short when it comes to implementing what I’ve learned to make code execute properly. Honestly, I originally anticipated JavaScript being easy to learn. Online bootcamps sell you this dream that with no prior experience you can become “job ready” in 6 months. I soon found out this is far from the truth (for me anyway :pensive: ).

I’ve learned about Functions, Arrays, Objects, Loops, Conditionals, and data types. It’s a different story for me though when it comes to putting everything together to write a proper data structure. Outside of maybe declaring an if/else statement, I have the hardest time declaring objects and arrays, and adding loop statements to functions are a huge obstacle for me right now. I also want to make more sense out of comparison expressions, and gain a better understanding of string and array methods. I feel like my inability to build comes from not being taught how to actually think through a problem and transfer the solution effectively using the correct data structures. So far my learning has consisted of lots of hand-holding where I’m introduced a concept and then given a drill to complete using scaffolded code. Thing is after this hand-holding is done I’m suddenly expected to be writing complete code blocks and function tests on my own! :man_shrugging:t5:Overall I need to learn a better way of mapping the path from knowing the problem at hand and using the right data structures to finding the best solution.

Show of hands: Does anyone else feel like they’re at a point where tutorials, videos, and readings just repeat the same things and can’t teach you much more than you already know? :raising_hand_man:t5: Viking code school refers to the place I’m in now as the ‘Cliff of Confusion’, that comes after the ‘Hand Holding Honeymoon’. Pretty much Im at a place where the only way to gain better understanding is to actually build, BUT HOW?! When do I get to the point of “I can do this” from “I have no idea what I’m doing”?

I know there has to be something out there that will make the idea of how all variables fit together click for me in a way the resources I’ve been using haven’t so far. It won’t be found looking through tutorials or reading through another article about how ‘objects are better than arrays when creating lists’. I like to think Im not a complete beginner as I recognize certain syntax and for the most part can tell what will happen from a block of code when a function is called. It’s just that building a function myself is the hardest thing right now, and I don’t know the best way to get over this hump, but I continue to push on until I have a moment of clarity :bulb: and all of this just makes sense for me I guess.

I welcome all on my journey, experienced or inexperienced. Whether you’re gaining a deeper understanding of new concepts like me or a seasoned programmer brushing up on your fundamentals, all help is most welcomed and extremely appreciated. I’m primarily honing my skills with javaScript right now, would love to pair program with anyone else interested. After all, we’re in this journey together!:pray:t5:

Hi, I’d love a javascript buddy. I’ve been working through TOP and Udacity.

Sorry for the brief reply earlier. I had originally started learning Javascript through freecodecamp and ended up where you are, feeling like I just couldn’t solve problems without guidance.
I started a few other free online schools/ camps and found that just trying all of them helped me figure out how to solve problems. Each had a different way of explaining the basics, so I felt I had a broader understanding of how to use them. The most helpful piece of advice I got was from Udacity. It had a little quiz with a big disclaimer reading, “STOP! This is the most complex problem we’ve had you solve yet. Before you start writing code, think about what you want the program to do, write out the steps, and then put the tools you have at your disposal into your plan.”
When trying to solve that quiz, I wrote the steps probably 4 different ways before I could fit the tools (functions, loops, etc) into a working code. It really felt like a breakthrough moment of thinking computationally.