Afraid of failing

Hi folks,
Hope all are good,
I have adilamma, I study the lessons I am still in Web Development 101, I haven’t done any projects yet. I am afraid of failing and I cannot do the project. I don’t know what I have to do

I’m a beginner to Odin as well but have had a bit of experience with code before, so I’ll try and offer my two cents here!

I think it’s important to understand that failing is a vital part of programming. You’re not designing a space shuttle that has very dire consequences if something goes wrong – you’re working with software on your personal computer. This is part of what makes programming so great: you can fail safely.

The other awesome part about coding is that you often have instant feedback on what went wrong. Error messages will point you to the exact line where the compiler thinks you’ve made a mistake, and you can easily search Google to figure out what it’s trying to tell you. So in programming, you can fail safely AND have instant feedback on how you can fix/improve things!

I think one of the best things you can do right now is try to shift your mindset from “I don’t want to fail” to “I’m ready to fail and learn from it”. There are many resources online that can help to to cultivate a “growth mindset”, which is essentially what it sounds like our goal is here.

Finally, The Odin Project’s Discord community has been really helpful to me so far – if you haven’t been using it, try it out! People are always willing to help.

I hope this was helpful and that you can continue to work on achieving your goals. Good luck!

@allen has some great suggestions.

Also, I’ve found it helpful to break the projects into small pieces/tasks. For example, for the Google project, choose one thing to work on, for example, how to make the menus at the top of the page. Google how to make simple menus. When you find examples of code, try them out on your own computer or a site like jsfiddle. Try to describe to yourself what’s going on with the code. See what happens when you change one small part of the code. Once you have this working, choose another thing to work on, like positioning your menus.

Best of luck to you!